The Humboldt Development Authority and its Winnemucca Futures Project is hosting the 2nd Annual Winnemucca Futures Forum 9:00 AM to 3:30 PM, on Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at the Convention Center in Winnemucca.
If you have a stake in Winnemucca and Humboldt County’s future, if you have a business or are seeking business opportunities in the region, or if you or your organization is responsible for providing services in the area, you should be here!
Winnemucca Futures Forum
9:00 AM – 3:30PM
Wednesday, February 20, 2013
East Hall – Comstock Room – Winnemucca Convention Center
This year, at the Futures Forum, we intend to discuss the circumstances, challenges, opportunities, and real conditions we are facing in the near term. Recent developments in national and global economies has created a surge in demand for the precious metals so abundant in our region, while at the same time the demand for green technology and energy related products face a more uncertain future. We expect to hear from our region’s largest employers in these fields about what they are facing on the front lines of their operations.
This year we will hear 20 minute updates, followed by 10 minute Q&A sessions, from many of the largest organizations who have large scale operations, or big plans, for our region, including:
- Newmont Mining – Status of operations, needs, and challenges in Nevada, northern Nevada and in our region. Brief updates on the Carlin Trend, Twin Creeks, Phoenix, Midas, Long Canyon, Sandman and others.
- Barrick Gold – Status of operations, needs, and challenges in Nevada, northern Nevada and in our region. Brief updates on the Carlin Trend, Gold Strike, Cortez, Turquoise Ridge, etc.
- Allied Nevada Gold – Update on the Hycroft Mine $1.2 billion expansion project.
- Goldcorp – Marigold Mine’s recent exploration activities have increased the mine’s life by an estimated 11 years.
- Western State Lithium – Plans for the continued development of the Kings Valley Project.
- Oregon Energy LLC - Update on development of the Aurora uranium project, on the Oregon-Nevada border, just west of McDermitt.
- Recology Environmental Solutions – Update on plans for the Jungo Road Landfill Project.
- Winnemucca Farms – Overview of the plans for development of a large scale multifaceted
power generation complex and industrial park.
- New Vision Development – Update on the largest housing and commercial development projects in the history of Winnemucca.
The Forum is designed to inform and educate local leaders, decision makers, and citizens about the many changes sweeping rapidly over the world, the region, and our local communities. Previous Winnemucca Futures Project workshops, discussions, and forums have focused on global trends like population dynamics, world food supplies, and changing economic circumstances across the globe. We have explored and discussed the major economic drivers we feel will impact our local future, including information technologies, agricultural crop prices, and water supplies. We have investigated issues like leadership development, communication and collaboration. We have been probing and thinking deeply about how all these issues will affect our ability to create a responsive and adaptable community that can reach its agreed upon vision.
Come get excited about our future and see what opportunities there are for you or your organization. Be a part of and benefit from the development coming to Winnemucca and Humboldt County. You’ll hear about current manpower and operations levels, a discussion of new projects, expected dates of project starts and completions, forecasts of manpower requirements, and challenges such as workforce education, housing, and regulatory issues.
Join the conversation. It will be an interesting and informative day, and Barrick & Newmont are hosting lunch!
To help us plan, and so we get the lunch count estimated, please RSVP HDA Coordinator Bill Sims at (775) 623-1064, or email email@example.com with the words, ”Futures Forum” in the SUBJECT line. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Bill or any of the Humboldt Development Authority Board of Directors.